America’s Next Top Model… Nobel Peace Prize…

Question for all the ladies out there:  Would you rather win America’s Next Top Model or win a Nobel Peace Prize?

McKey Sullivan- ANTM Cycle 11 winner.

McKey Sullivan- ANTM Cycle 11 winner.

Maybe it’s a dumb question, but Oxygen TV obviously thinks otherwise.  Personally, I would hope that everyone would choose a Nobel Peace Prize.  I would.  And, obviously, as these polls go, the obvious answer was not the one most people chose.  25% more people said they would rather win ANTM.  25% more.  ANTM.  Tyra Banks.  Twenty-five percent more.  More than PEACE!  Did you read that?  That’s repulsive.  I just lost a little faith in the world.  I also really think that Oxygen TV should feel self-conscious and awkward because it targets people who would rather win ANTM than a Nobel Prize.  If I was Oxygen TV I would be blushing ferociously and hiding under my blankie.  (Note: I do watch ANTM.  I love the pretty pictures.)

Now, I know that this isn’t an actual representation of all women ages 18 to 34.  But I still find it incredibly depressing.  What is this saying?  Well, I could be indirect and cruel and say that it means that women are actually evil and they/we are trying to promote hate and war by being bitches on reality TV shows and NOT trying to win peace prizes.  But, I don’t think that’s right either.

Aung San Suu Kyi- 1991 Nobel Peace Prize Winner

Aung San Suu Kyi- 1991 Nobel Peace Prize Winner

Winning ANTM does mean something.  It means you are beautiful.  You are a model.  You are a model for perfection and for envy.  And this is what, 25% more women apparently, want.  I’m not saying there’s anything wrong with wanting to be beautiful (and I’m not going to go on a rant about inner-beauty and self-love or whatever).  But, there is something wrong with your priorities if you would rather be recognized as beautiful for your own selfish reasons than be recognized for an achievement that could help so many people.  And, no, you aren’t going to help the world heal by sharing your beauty.

“Also, 75 percent would shave their heads to save someone’s life, which sadly means the remaining 25 percent would rather watch someone die than give up their hair.”  That is so gross I cannot even comment.  Take from it what you will.

BEDA #2

Advertisements

Leave a Comment

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s